Monday, July 19, 2010

Apwoyo Matek!




Ever since the RH team left, I have been helping the Tabers watch their 3 amazing girls: Toby, Tristin, and Timory. During this transition period, Tracy and I thought that we would try to embrace the culture and become Acholi.

Step 1: Riding a Boda (side saddle): Check
Step 2: Balancing a jerrycan full of water on my head: Still haven't mastered this quite yet
Step 3: Learning Luo: Auntie Susan from Purse of Hope quizzes me every time I greet her but I still find myself saying "APWOYO" or "Rabbit" instead of "apwoyo" or "thank you"
Step 4: Trying to wash our clothes by hand in basins. Easier said than done! Word to the wise...before attempting...one should work on their upper body strength. Tracy and I took our 2 big bags of dirty clothes over to the 31 Bits compound to do laundry. After an hour and a half of scrubbing and washing and scrubbing and washing...we had only done 1/3 of laundry and we are pretty sure that the clothes were more dirty than before. However, we were a huge source of entertainment for the ladies.
Now all I have to do is kill a chicken and I am officially Acholi!

2 comments:

  1. I love it!!! Just think how much you will appreciate doing your families laundry someday when you have a washer and dryer! In fact I too will appreciate it more myself and I will be praying for you ever time I do laundry....that is often! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do my NEIGHBORHOOD'S laundry by hand! Step it up Stef! :-)

    Ok, I can't back that up...I do hand load our family clothing into our washer and then our dryer, so it's sort of the same thing, given that I am a guy!

    ReplyDelete